Tuesday 3 May 2011

The World Has Gone Mad

If I cast my mind back to last week, I like most of the nation was very excited about the prospect of having yet another bank holiday weekend - never mind what it was for.  In my book, 4 days off for any occasion counts as a result and I was most definitely counting the days.   However as we all know with reward comes sacrifce and like many of us who work in small companies, I was feeling the pressure of fitting five days into three.  Thursday night was soon upon me, and I had managed to get everything cleared off my desk and was looking forward to a weekend of catching up with old friends and beer gardens.

With a 2 hour drive to Birmingham ahead of me, I decided to catch up on some music and switched straight to Radio 1, had I known it was going to be full of Royal Wedding Hype I wouldn't have bothered, but I found myself becoming strangely addicted, especially by the woman who was getting married in a months time and had purchaased 3 wedding dresses just because she liked them all!
Like most of my friends I had declared that I had no interest in the wedding and what a load of rubbish it was, telling my mother for weeks on end that she really needed to get a life.  Plus how would it ever run smoothly, a nice gesture it may have been, but am I the only person who thought William giving Kate his dead mothers, ruined marriage engagement ring was a bad omen?
Arriving at my friends late Thursday evening I was told we would be up early to watch the wedding, ok not my cup of tea but I was in her house and a little part of me wanted to see Kate's dress, after all she is now considered a fashion icon.  Luckily she did not disappoint and looked absolutely stunning as I am sure you will all agree. 
However I didn't move off the sofa once I had seen her dress at 11am, no in fact I sat there for a further 2 hours analysing every aspect of the wedding - guestlist, outfits, The Queen snubbing Camilla, but most of all the hysteria created by the public and media alike.  I couldn't believe how many people were lining the streets, never mind the screaming, the crying, and the media coverage.  Every televison channel, radio station and newspaper were leading with the story - now as far as I am aware nothing much more exciting happened that day, but even so it all seemed a little extreme.  These two young people thrust into public display, the whole nation relying on them to "do us proud" and represent our country.  Yet those who are out there fighting for our country on a daily basis rarely get media coverage, and when they do the majority of it relates to unhappy events. 
Don't get me wrong, it brought people together and as Radio 1's Xane Lowe said "I'm all for it, it's rare in these times that everyone is brought together for something that isn't due to devestation".  I just feel that there would have been better things to spend the Tax Payer's money on, and with the economy in such a poor state an extra working day would have been more beneficial to the Nation. 
I can also see history repeating itself, this beautiful young couple with the world at their feet, being adored by the media and nation, having their every move analysed, only to be torn apart the minute they do something slightly unfavourable - Diana and Charles part 2!!

No comments:

Post a Comment